What do I need to play Android games on my phone with a controller?
- A phone that supports USB OTG (I collected a list here)
- Android 4.0 or higher (has built in controller support)
- USB OTG Cable
- A game controller. UtorCase currently supports the following:
- Games with controller support
- I started a list here http://list.ly/list/8tK-android-games-that-support-xbox-360-controller
- You can also try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvidia.tegrazone
- Optional: USB BT Joy Center App at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poke64738.usbjoygold&h...
- With USB BT App you can map keys to your controller without root, or if you have a rooted phone you can use the X360 emulation mode which works with most controllers automagically.
A game does not work with my controller
- Check the game settings. Some games, like Beach Buggy Blitz, let you map your controller keys.
- Ask the game developer to include support for your controller since Android has a gamepad API that the developers should use.
- Try the USB BT android app that has a universal gamepad emulation mode.
Nothing happens after connecting the controller with my phone
When you connect your controller with your smartphone you should be able to move around your smartphone menu with the controller:
- Check your cables are plugged in properly
- Check that your phone supports USB OTG. According to my resesarch, the following list of phones support USB OTG out of the box. You can also run the USB Host diagnostics app to determine your USB capabilities.
- You can follow this general guide on connecting your phone http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/36887/how-can-i-determine-if-my-device-has-usb-host-mode-otg-support
- If you have a USB OTG phone then try to use this USB BT app to enable the controller.
External video tutorials on how to connect your phone with a controller
Wired Xbox 360 tutorials
Wireless Xbox 360 tutorial
Which Android games support a controller?
I started a community list here http://list.ly/list/8tK-android-games-that-support-xbox-360-controller. You can also try the TegraZone app that collects games that have controller support https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvidia.tegrazone
My phone does not support USB OTG out of the box, what can I do?
- You may still be able to connect with some wizardry if you have root access. Google for a solution, as such a guide is beyond the size of this FAQ.
- If you have root access
Controller Specific info
My Xbox guide button is blinking after connecting the android phone
The manufacturer excluded support for the Xbox Controller, but you can:
- Use the USB BT app for Android to remedy the situation.
- Request your phone manufacturer to include support for game controllers